THE Senate of the Philippines was not under attack during the May 13, 2026 incident, Interior and Local Government Secretary Jonvic Remulla said on Tuesday, citing findings from the ongoing investigation conducted by the Philippine National Police (PNP).

Speaking at a press briefing, Remulla said the evidence gathered so far, including closed-circuit television (CCTV) footage and sworn statements, points to a gun-related incident initiated by former police general and Senate Sergeant-at-Arms Mao Aplasca, and not an armed assault against the Senate institution.

Remulla said CCTV footage reviewed by investigators showed Aplasca firing the first shots toward National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) agents who were at the Senate premises to inspect the area.

The DILG chief added that the same footage showed Aplasca directing OSAA personnel, members of the PNP, and Marines to lock and load their firearms during the incident. He likewise greenlighted the media’s presence while the situation was unfolding.

Despite the evidence gathered and reviewed in recent days, Remulla emphasized that the PNP cannot yet conclude that the entire incident was staged or premeditated.

“We will let the evidence speak for itself. The investigation remains ongoing, and all angles will be examined carefully and fairly,” he said.

PNP Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr.,  meanwhile,  confirmed that Aplasca had been directed to appear before the PNP-Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG) to surrender his firearm and undergo ballistic examination, but failed to do so.

Department of Justice Secretary Fredderick Vida said the videos presented by the PNP are critical pieces of evidence in the ongoing investigation.

He said all evidence gathered by the NBI and the PNP will be turned over to the panel of prosecutors for comprehensive evaluation and determination of possible liabilities.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *